Thursday, December 3, 2009

All You Need Is Love

When I started this blog I was thinking that one of the greatest motivations for sewing is love, the mom sewing the buttons, for example. Even the Arpillera movement, the mother's were sewing because they loved their children that were taken away. I still do believe that to be true. I think so many of our actions are rooted in emotion. What wouldn't I do for my sister or my mother, anyone who I care about. If not careful, I can easily lapse into getting pretty hippie about things. It's all about love man. Whatever. However, I realize too that while much of the sewing that is done is about loving your neighbor, it is also about empowerment. The Chilean women were not going to let the government take their children from them without a protest. Friends were not going to watch their loved ones die of AIDS and hide their memory in shame. Ginger Dosedel was not going to sit back while American soldiers were unable to get dressed without help while they were injured serving our country. The Austrian judge was not going to watch women suffer anymore because they were kidnapped and raped. So many of the people mentioned on my blog, saw injustice and they chose to do something about it. They empowered themselves through sewing. They told the government that though they may be prostitutes they have a voice, and a right to earn a living. Though they are just a few students they will not accept sweat shop materials on their campus. All around the world people are sewing, and through sewing they are creating independence. They are sewing and they are establishing real seeds of change.

And anyway who really needs an excuse to hear the Beatles???Share

1 comment: